Sunday, April 27, 2008

Wedding Dress


Finally, here is a picture of the velvet wedding dress that has consumed me for the last few weeks. Let me explain that. The Bride, as you can see, is no small child. She also could not find a pattern she liked. Can you see where this is going? I ended up using parts of 4 patterns!! The skirt back and train were one pattern. The back bodice laces, and is part of another pattern. The front bodice is part of another pattern as she liked that neckline. I ended up drafting the sleeves myself as her arms are a little large. The skirt front is part of another pattern, but split in half and an underskirt of lace inserted. Yes, the whole dress is lined. There are 129 buttons down the back. It took 15 yards of lining and of velvet!! The blue sash I made was not dark blue enough for her, so had to get more fabric and remake it. All was well till she decided to change the undergarments she was going to wear, which changed the way the bodice fitted in a drastic way. The only solution was to pick out the front bodice, re-cut it, and put it back. Booo on falsies, which are what caused the problem.The sequined and beaded trim around the hem and up the center front was hand applied. I got it for a steal on Ebay! After all of this trauma, I didn't start breathing till she said "I do"!Everyone loved the dress, esp the Bride and Mother-of -the-bride, thanks goodness. The pictures are taken in my kitchen, hopefully I'll get a couple better professional ones later. My 20 month old DGS was the ring bearer, and I made his cummerbund and bow tie and the pillow. Don't have a picture of that yet. He was adorable, of course! Yes, I was paid, and well, for all of this. Oh, I also hemmed three pair of suit pants in the deal.The reason this was so nerve-Check Spellingwracking is the bride is the only sister of my DDIL, so I wanted everything to be perfect. The pattern situation and the brides natural pickiness added to the stress. But on a funny note, the bride doesn't know this, the velvet was obtained years ago from a friend who got it at an overstock sale at the Batesville Casket Company!!! It was my gift to her.I've done other weddings, some with many bridesmaids, but this one was the most trying.

9 comments:

Kairle Oaks said...

Oh, my goodness, Cathy! What an ordeal!!! It turned out beautifully, so I'm not surprised that the bride was happy! Great job!

Unknown said...

Oh, Cathy, from one who has made a whole wedding party of velvet I commend you. Great job when using so many different parts of patterns. The sleeves look good. I think I would have told her that she couldn't change her undergarments. Picking out velvet. Yikes. Guess it was OK if you took it in some. Great job and you should have been well paid.

Anonymous said...

Just beautiful. I love velvet. It is so elegant. After this quilting will be a snap. LOL!

Linda Z

Kim said...

What a wonderful dress, Cathy! And how patient you were! I guess it's a little different from making doll clothes and quilts! ROFLOL! You are a saint!

julieQ said...

Oh my, that is one lovely wedding gown! What an enormous amount of work, but it turned out just great. No more velvet for me! One suit in the 79's was enough...:)

Anonymous said...

You've done a lovely job of that dress.

Unknown said...

Oh, Cathy, I know just how you felt about that wedding dress. Years ago I made a whole wedding in Velvet, White, Red and Green and even the MOYB dress but that wasn't velvet. I had enough of that sort of thing. Qullting is much more fun.

Unknown said...

I know just exacrly what you went through wotj that wedding dress. VElvet is the worst. but having to take it out is bad. I did one years ago which was a Christmas wekdding. Bride was wheite of course. the BM. green. I did all the weeding and her Mother sres. Glad you got paid good for all that trouble.

Unknown said...

I know just exacrly what you went through wotj that wedding dress. VElvet is the worst. but having to take it out is bad. I did one years ago which was a Christmas wekdding. Bride was wheite of course. the BM. green. I did all the weeding and her Mother sres. Glad you got paid good for all that trouble.